Thursday, May 24, 2007

Entry #31 - Another Em Entry -- Pondering

I've been "neglecting" my blog for a while now. Soon Em will be complainting about it again, so I thought I'll throw in a filler blog before she goes wah wah wah at me.

***

A few things that I ponder about occasionally (yes, sometimes I actually USE my brain and no, it doesn't hurt) :-

(1) Folks to go onto those game show, are they aware of the income tax that they have to pay? I mean, think about it, most of those folks do not live in expensive places like California. They don't make a whole lot and they probably have a few kids (I believe I've seen 6 or 8 kids before). So it's fair to assume that they get all their withholdings from their paycheck back. $1 million might sound like a lot of money, but 35% is going to go to federal tax... and than another 6% or so for state tax. I wonder about the moment of shock when these winners file their income taxes the subsequent year.

What's worse is prize instead of real cash. If you won a fancy car, you'll still have pay tax base on it's value. So you'll either have to sell the fancy car... or risk tax evation.

(2) "Played through once" -- lately I've been selling all my used games on eBay. I like having money in my Paypal account. When I make purchases with reserve in PayPal, it feels like free money. :D

By the same token, I also like to buy used games from eBay -- buying an used game on eBay, play it through once (or more than once) then selling it back on eBay is actually cheaper than renting, assuming you don't wait a few years to sell your game.

Regardless, I never did quite understand why people like to stress the fact that they have "played [the game] through once" in their advertisement. In case you don't know what a video game nowadays look like, it's a disc, much like a CD or a DVD. Playing it through once or many time doesn't cause wear and tear on the disc. It's not like cassette tapes or VHS in old days. In fact, so long as you don't scratch the disc, what's going to make it look old is whether you kick the box around a lot, or flip the living daylight out of the instruction booklet. I just don't get the claim that the game has only "been played through once."

2 comments:

Emily Leiphart said...

On game shows: Take Survivor Season One winner Richard Hatch for example. He was dumb enough not to pay taxes on a show that millions watched. Obviously the IRS watched it, too. That's why he's serving a five-year sentence in prison. Ugh.

On eBay: I agree that is silly. Who cares if a CD or DVD is played once through. Just say it is gently used!

cahalan said...

Hello, if its not "new" it's used. LOL. I generally still put the word "used" in my ad. There's always idiots.